Language Translation Line ~ New!
Our language translation line gives you access to an on-demand interpreter for over 100 languages, during regular business hours. Contact our Customer Care Centre for more information.
Bell Relay Service
City staff are pleased to assist our customers using the Bell Relay Service which allows deaf, deafened and hard of hearing customers or those with speech disabilities to communicate with hearing persons or non-TTY users by phone. To connect with a Bell Relay Service Operator, call 1.800.855.0511.
BrowseAloud Hearing Instruments available at public meetings
Our website has been speech enabled with BrowseAloud. BrowseAloud is a software program that reads aloud all website content and is free to users. Read more about it.
There are 3 Assistive Listening Devices available for use during meetings and events in the Council Chambers. The units are easy to use and will amplify the volume of the speakers in the chambers.
A TTY is a telecommunication device for text communication via a telephone, used when one or more of the parties has hearing or speech difficulties.
Various City employees speak a number of languages and are able to assist with translation for citizens who speak a language other than English. Our website can be translated into 10 languages using the Google Translate tool.
The City will provide any document produced by the City in an alternate format upon request unless it is not technically feasible to do so and subject to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Alternate formats can include, but are not limited to, web access, large print versions of the document or a text only electronic file which can then be read by a computer or printed in Braille. The BrowseAloud feature is also available on our website.
Requests for information in alternate formats should be sent to the Customer Care Centre. We will make every effort to provide the information in the preferred format as soon as reasonably possible.
For more information on accessible programs, services, and other helpful resources please visit our Accessible Pickering page.
Recreation Complex Pool
East Shore Community Centre
- equipped with an electronic lift for easy navigation throughout the building
- internal stair lift for wheelchairs to have full access to the building from within
- ramps are incorporated into both main entrances
- accessible washrooms
Don Beer Arena
- sliding doors at both entrances
- automatic doors
- accessible washroom stalls with railings
- elevator for easy access to banquet hall
- designated area for viewing
Petticoat Creek Community Centre
- wheelchair accessible washrooms for both male and female
- customer care counter at wheelchair accessible level
- automatic doors to access the entrances to the building
- dedicated parking spaces and two ramps outside to get from the parking lot to the concrete to enter towards the front doors
Contact us for more information, or assistance with facility equipment:
Culture & Recreation
T. 905.683.6582 or 905.420.4621
Toll Free: 1.866.683.2760
Email Culture & Recreation
Site Plan Review
Pickering's Accessibility Advisory Committee reviews each and every site plan that is approved by the City Development Department to ensure that proposed site plans are accessible for all citizens.
Contact City Development for more information.
The City of Pickering is committed to meeting the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) standards set by the Ontario government by developing the City's website to WCAG 2.0 AA standards. By following these standard guidelines, the City of Pickering's website will be an accessible resource to all individuals.
Initially only webpage (HTML) content will be fully accessible to the standards. Supporting materials such as PDF documents will not be fully compliant. The City of Pickering is committed to making this website accessible and easy to use for everyone and will be working towards updating all PDF documents to be accessible.
If you use assistive technology and the format of any content on this website interferes with your ability to access the information, please contact our Customer Care Centre by email or by phone at 905.683.7575 and we will make every effort to provide you with a format that is accessible to you.
You can adjust the text size on our website through various methods:
- use the text size icon at the top left corner of the page by clicking on the "+" to enlarge the font or "-" to minimize it
- while holding the control key, use the scroll wheel on your mouse to scale the content pages larger or smaller
- in Mozilla Firefox, the website size can also be adjusted by accessing the View menu, then Zoom controls
- in Internet Explorer, content text size can be adjusted by accessing the View menu, then Text Size controls
Some documents on this website are available in a PDF format. Adobe Reader is required to open these files, and is available to download free of charge. Adobe's PDF converter allows you to convert PDF files to text or HTML.