Minus Plus Text Size Print Icon Printer Friendly

Contact(s)

Downtown Pickering Photo Gallery

Explore our selection of photographs featuring some familiar locations and buildings in 'Downtown Pickering'.   These images were provided by the Main Branch Pickering Public Library, from their collection housed in the Local History Room on the second floor of the Pickering Central Library.

The first image reminds us that Downtown Pickering was not always centred on the four corners of Liverpool Road and Kingston Road.  In our early days of settlement in the late 1700's, Pickering was a collection of hamlets that formed a part of Pickering Township.  The Township was made up of lands including properties we now know to be in Scarborough, Pickering, Ajax & Whitby. 

Pickering's City Hall has had numerous homes, including the Pickering Township Hall (1854) in Brougham, a civic building on the north/east corner of Brock Road and Kingston Road (demolished and now replaced by the Durham Region Police Station), and finally at the Civic Complex, One The Esplanade (opened in 1992).

Share your images of Downtown Pickering by sending them to Economic Development.  Remembering your past is always part of building your future.

Pickering Township Hall

Pickering Township Hall

Now often referred to as Brougham Hall. Located at 3545 Brock Road in the Hamlet of Brougham, one block south of Highway #7 on the east side.  The hall was built in 1854 and was the first official township building to hold council meetings.  Prior to this, meetings were held in homes or local taverns, such as Thompson's Tavern. Now the hall acts as a community centre for clubs and gatherings and an amateur theatre hall.

Liverpool Arms InnLiverpool Arms Inn

Liverpool Arms Inn (now the Fox & Fiddle Mansion) at the north/west corner of Liverpool Road and Kingston Road (Hwy.2). Photo taken in 1920; built in 1878 by Robert Secker, this Inn was a 14 mile journey from Toronto and a popular stop on the King's Highway for those travelling between Toronto and Kingston.

Liverpool Arms InnLiverpool Arms Inn

Liverpool Arms Inn - pre 1964 widening of Kingston Road . During the 20th Century, the four corners where the Inn sat was called Liverpool Corners. An ad in 1929 offers rooms starting at $1.00, first class dining, short order lunches and great fishing only 1 mile from the hotel.

Black's Service StationBlack's Service Station

Black's Service Station (Morley Black) at the south/west corner of Liverpool Road and Kingston Road, directly opposite the Liverpool Arms Inn.  It is estimated the photo was taken in the late 1920's. This image looks south down Liverpool Road to the lake.  Note the interesting promotional sign indicating ("Oil is Power").  Pickering is still a centre for energy generation, but now nuclear is the power.  Still owned by the Black family, today the station is a Petro Canada.

LCBO Pylon SignLCBO Pylon Sign

Circa 1972: The LCBO & Brewers Retail at 1809 Liverpool Road, just south of Kingston Road, still stand today.

Texaco StationTexaco Station

Circa 1972s:  Looking north/east at the corner of Liverpool Road and Pickering Parkway.  Today this is an Esso Station.

Drive In Entrance, LiverpoolDrive In Entrance, Liverpool Road

Circa 1972:   Looking north on Liverpool Road, see the entrance to the Te Pee Drive-in Theatre (now the entrance to the Loblaws Supercentre).

Aerial of Liverpool IntersectionAerial of Liverpool Intersection 

Circa 1976:   An aerial view of the Hwy. 401 intersection at Liverpool Road.  Note the first office tower at 1305 Pickering Parkway is under construction, the GO Station has yet to see expansion; North American Van Lines operating just to the south of the new office tower and the Te Pee Drive-In still showing movies.

GO StationGO Station 

Circa 1976: Looking north/east from the corner of Liverpool Road and Baseline Road (now Bayly St.).  The large green building to the east was home to Colonial Homes construction company producing prefab homes.

GO StationGO Station

Circa 1976: Aerial view taken from the roof of the Radom Street apartment building.

GO StationGO Station

Circa 1976:  Looking north - note the back side of the projection screen at the 2nd of Pickering's drive-in theatres, the Odeon Drive-In.

GO StationGO Station

Circa1976: Parking lot looking east.

Baseline Road at LiverpoolBaseline Road at Liverpool

Circa 1976: Looking north/west from the Baseline Road (Bayly St.) from just east of Liverpool Road.

Baseline RoadBaseline Road

Early 1970's: Looking east, a GO bus stops at north tunnel access on north side of GO tracks.  This access road was created after removal of prior eastbound on ramp to Highway 401 and before the second set of rail tracks was installed.

GO StationGO Station

Circa 1976: Looking south/east from the Liverpool Road bridge towards the Pickering GO Station.

GO StationGO Station

Circa 1976:  the entance to underground tunnel accessing GO Rail platforms.

Sheridan MallSheridan Mall

Late 70's: Sheridan Mall (now Pickering Town Centre) under construction; this photo looking north east from Pickering Parkway towards the former K-Mart (now Zellers).

Sheridan MallSheridan Mall

Late 70's: Sheridan Mall under construction same view as in image 17.

Sheridan MallSheridan Mall

Aerial view of the early Pickering Town Centre (formerly Sheridan Mall) looking slightly south/east.  Note early stages of the Hub Plaza on the north side of Kingston Road; Odeon Drive-in Theatre directly to the east and the service station at the south/west corner of Liverpool and Kingston Roads.

Baseline RoadBaseline Road

Late 70's: Looking north from the Baseline Road (Bayly St.) across Highway 401 towards the Sheridan Mall.

Sheridan MallSheridan Mall

Late 70's: Looking south/west from Kingston Road at Glenanna Road towards Sheridan Mall.

Sheridan MallSheridan Mall

Late 70's: Looking north/east from Radom Street apartments. Note brown low-rise condominiums under construction at the north/east corner of Glenanna and Kingston Roads.