Vacancy Rebates

Vacancy rebates will not be issued for 2019 and later tax years. 2018 and prior year vacancy applications will still be accepted if we receive the application within 90 days of the building being assessed.

Under Provincial legislation, commercial and industrial buildings with vacancies may be eligible for tax relief available through rebates offered by the local municipality.

To qualify for a rebate, the vacancy period must be at least 90 consecutive days. Applicants for vacancy rebates may submit either:

  • one application for the entire tax year; or
  • two applications, reflecting the first and last six months of the tax year

The vacancy program does not apply under the following conditions:

  • Seasonal Property: Businesses that operate on a seasonal basis are not eligible for a rebate for the seasons they are closed.
  • Leased Property: Buildings or portions that are vacant but are leased to a tenant are not eligible for a rebate.
  • Vacant Land Sub-Class: Buildings that are included in a vacant land sub-class (e.g. new buildings that have never been occupied) are not eligible for a rebate.

The deadline to apply is the last day of February following the tax year for which the application is made.

Required Forms:

  1. Vacancy Rebate Application
  2. Affidavit in Support of Vacant Unit Rebate

Registered Charities

Under Provincial legislation, eligible charities in Pickering that occupy commercial or industrial property may be entitled to a 40% property tax rebate.

Charities that wish to apply must have a registered number with Canada Customs and Revenue Agency.

Registered charities must submit an application to the City of Pickering by the last day of February of the year following the tax year in order to be considered.

For further information contact the City's Taxation Services.

Required Form:

Registered Charity Tax Rebate Application:  online form | print version

Return the completed application form to:

The City of Pickering
Tax Section
One The Esplanade
Pickering, ON L1V 6K7