Minus Plus Text Size Print Icon Printer Friendly


Basement Apartments/Two-Unit Houses


All homes with a basement apartment (accessory apartment) need to be registered with the City of Pickering Fire Services Department. 

Download a registration application or pick one up from a City facility listed below.

Where do I Apply?

Completed application forms may be submitted to the following City facilities:

Building Services
Pickering City Hall
One The Esplanade
Pickering, ON L1V 6K7
Fire Services Headquarters
Fire Station #5
1616 Bayly Street
Pickering, ON L1W 3N2
(Payment by cheque only at this location)

Please note a one-time registration fee of $500 is required at the time of application.  The payment can be made in person, or online at pickering.ca/eStore (please retain eStore receipt and submit with your application as proof of payment).

Why Register?

  • registration is mandatory under By- law 6399/04
  • it allows City staff to inspect the accessory apartment and confirm that it is safe for a tenant to occupy
  • knowledge of where two-unit houses exist will assist the City in providing emergency response and community services
  • it provides the property owner with a registration certificate, officially recognizing the property as a legal two-unit house, this will assist in future real estate transactions


Please see our information pamphlet for more information on registering your two-unit house.