Minus Plus Text Size Print Icon Printer Friendly


Business Licences

Pickering issues a variety of licenses, including those shown below.

PDF Forms

While it is recommended to have the most up to date version of your browser, some web browsers do not initially allow interactive PDF forms to open. A quick work around is to save the form to your computer (right-click the form link to save PDF file) and open it with Adobe Reader.   Having difficulty viewing a form?

Business TypeFees Application Governing By-law
Adult Video$1,500.00Adult Video Store Licence Video By-law
Automobile Wrecking Yard$20.00Business Licence Business By-law
Boarding Kennel$250 per year
$50.00 late renewal penalty
Boarding Kennel Licence Boarding Kennel By-law
Breeder$250 per year
$50.00 late renewal penalty
Breeder Licence Breeder By-law
Carnival$100.00 for first day and
$50.00 for each subsequent day
Carnival Licence Carnival By-law
Hawker & Peddler$20 - per day/per location or
$250 - per calendar year for stationary use
Hawker & Peddler Licence Hawker & Peddler By-law
Home-Based Business$50.00Home-Based Business Application Home-Based Business Licensing By-law 
Horse Riding Establishments$250.00 initial licence
$50.00 late fee
Horse Riding Establishment LicenceHorse By-law
Markets$200.00 day if <100 stalls
$1000.00 day if >100 stalls
Business Licence Business By-law
Petshop$250 per year
$50.00 late renewal penalty
Pet Shop Licence Pet Shop By-law
Public Halls$10.00Business Licence Business By-law
Refreshment Vehicle Licence$250 per yearRefreshment Vehicle Licence Hawker & Peddler By-law

Dog/Cat Licenses

The City of Pickering requires that all dogs and cats be licensed on an annual basis. By licensing your pet, you increase their chance of being reunited with you should they ever get lost.   Please see the Animal Services page for details.

Lottery Licenses

The City of Pickering issues lottery licenses only for charitable gaming events. "Charitable gaming" refers to lottery schemes permitted by a licence under the Criminal Code of Canada. These may include:  bingos, raffles, break open tickets.

Municipal Licences

  • bingo events with prize board $5,500 and under
  • media bingo events
  • raffle for total prizes $50,000 and under
  • all break open not licensed by province
  • bazaars

Provincial Licences

  • bingo events with prize board over $5,500
  • super jackpot games
  • raffle for total prizes over $50,000
  • provincial break open
  • all Monte Carlo events
  • all lottery schemes conducted in unorganized territories
  • all lottery schemes at a designated Fair or Exhibition or at a Public Place of Amusement
  • break Open Ticket Sellers

More information about Provincial Licences

Who can get a licence to conduct a lottery scheme?

Canada's Criminal Code permits charitable and religious organizations to conduct a lottery scheme to raise funds pursuant to a license being issued. Organizations must have demonstrated a charitable or religious mandate to qualify.

"Charitable" refers to organizations which provide programs for:

  1. the relief of poverty
  2. the advancement of education
  3. the advancement of religion
  4. other charitable purposes beneficial to the community

The following are pre-requisites to be considered eligible for a lottery license:

  1. organizations must be at least 1 year old
  2. The organization must have a business in Ontario, demonstrate that its purpose is to provide charitable services in Ontario and use proceeds for objects or purposes which benefit Ontario residents

The primary purposes of an organization are determined by:

  • the organization's mandate, as set out in its incorporation documents
  • the objects of the organization as described in its application for license
  • the services provided by the organization to the community

What types of organizations are not charitable for lottery licensing purposes?

Types of organizations which cannot be considered charitable include: 

  • social clubs
  • professional associations, unions, employee groups
  • elected representative groups including municipal, regional, provincial and federal governments
  • government ministries, agents or bodies
  • political lobby groups
  • political parties
  • adult hobby groups
  • private sports clubs (e.g. golf / curling)
  • adult sports teams

How do I apply?

Applications are available in the Clerk's Office, Civic Complex, One The Esplanade during regular office hours (8:30 am to 4:30 pm). Complete and return the application with the appropriate fees. A minimum of 2 weeks is required to process a lottery application.

Taxi License

To be a Taxicab Driver, Taxicab Owner, or Taxicab Broker operating within the City of Pickering, you must qualify and acquire a valid licence.   Applicants must submit the completed application in person along with appropriate documents and fees, to the Clerk's Office, Civic Complex, One the Esplanade.

NOTE:  It takes a minimum of 2 days to process a taxicab licence application. Applications are also available at the Clerk's Office.

Taxicab licensing By-law

Necessary Documentation

  • Proof of registration in Taxicab Driver Testing & Training Program (Proof of completion for renewal)
  • Offer of Employment 
  • Valid Ontario Driver's Licence (G class or better)
  • Health Certificate 
  • MTO - Driver Record
  • Criminal Information Abstract- if any charges or convictions appear, staff will determine eligibility
  • Fee:
 Applicant Amount Term
Taxicab Driver$100.00Two-year Licence
Taxicab Owner$250.00 (Renewal)Renewed Annually
Taxicab Broker$150.00 (Renewal)Renewed Annually