Minus Plus Text Size Print Icon Printer Friendly


Committee of Adjustment

The Committee of Adjustment is a body appointed by City Council to consider requests for minor changes, or variance, to the City's Zoning By-laws.

The Committee will consider matters of zoning variances which are often not of sufficient magnitude to warrant the formal consideration of City Council.

The Committee of Adjustment has 5 members appointed by Council. The Committee operates according to Planning Act and Regulations and its own rules of procedure.

Visit the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing for more information about land-use planning.

View the 2017 Meeting Schedule

View Committee of Adjustment Agendas.

View Committee of Adjustment Minutes.


You must submit an application to the City of Pickering, City Development Department before the Committee of Adjustment can consider a minor variance request.

All relevant material, documentation and fees must be submitted with your application. Application forms are available online or from City Development. Staff is available to assist you in making your submission and answer any questions you may have at any time in the process.

Submission Requirements:

  • a recent survey showing dimensions of the lands and the location of all buildings on the subject property including proposed additions and alterations
  • an application fee
  • elevation drawing
  • proof of ownership of the land

Additional information may be required to review the application.  You can submit other relevant information that you feel might assist the Committee in their consideration of the application i.e. photographs.

To ensure the application is processed as quickly as possible, all forms, drawings and sketches should be neat and legible.  All information should be as accurate as possible and all dimensions must be in metric.

All submissions may be viewed by the public in the City Development Department during business hours.