Building details are shown under the image below , along with a photo.
A full colour PDF version of this site map is also available.
3. Path to the Museum Village
This scenic path leads through a wooded landscape and across Duffins Creek. A route from Lake Ontario and a source of power for the mills, Duffins Creek was very important to the early development of the area.
Early settlers lived under a lean-to until a log shanty could be constructed. Crops were the first priority; trees were girdled and seeds sown among the stumps to ensure a harvest to see the family through the winter.
5. Log Barn
Built of rough logs, this barn is dovetailed and pegged with trenails. It is actually two barns joined together. A barn master positioned barns to guide winds through doors and across the threshing floor. Once flailed, the wind would help to winnow the chaff from the grain. On display are grain-related tools and a loom used for weaving rag rugs. When the barns were joined, the east end would have served as the stable.
6. Three Sisters Garden
First Nations tribes grew corn, beans, and squash together. The beans, needing support, grew up the corn stalks; the vines of the squash grew thickly around the base of the corn, smothering out weeds. A few fish were planted with the seeds as fertilizer. Following this wisdom, settlers had crops that provided perfect sustenance over the long winters.
7. Log House Family Garden
The garden at the west end of the Log House is representative of the vegetables and herbs a family would have grown in Upper Canada. Pickering Museum Village's heritage gardeners, Bloomers & Britches, only plant vegetables and herbs that were available of the time period.
8. Log House, c. 1830
Construction and clearing land were conditions of receiving the land title. One large room served as kitchen, living room, and bedroom. This home had an earthen floor, windows stretched with oiled cloth and a blanket door. If a settler could afford it, doors, a floor, and eventually windows were added. Originally located at Brimley Road and Sheppard Avenue, this building represents a settler's home after approximately seven years.
9. Log House Dye Garden
Dye gardens were functional rather than pretty and larger since dyeing requires large quantities of plants. Plants used for dyeing wool and cloth were goldenrod, celandine, onions, lady's bedstraw, rose campion, tansy, calendula, golden marguerite, zinnias, black-eyed susan, madder, woad and bee balm. Our dye pot often contains black walnuts, sumac, and daffodils found in season elsewhere on the site.
10. Collins House, c. 1850
This home comes from Reach Township, just north of Chalk Lake. The deed for the land was dated 1811. The house is representative of a tradesman's home in the mid-1850s. Vertical siding forms the structure, the walls are painted plaster, the space divided into rooms, and there is a cast-iron stove for heating and cooking. The housewife in this home supplements the family income with butter and candle making.
11. Collins House Medicinal Garden
The lady of the house had many tasks, and nursing her family through illness was one of the most important. Mint soothed upset stomachs, feverfew for headaches, soft lamb's ear leaves were used as temporary bandages. Foxglove (digitalis) aided heart conditions, sage tea alleviated sore throat and rose hips, nettles, raspberry leaves, and dandelions were used to make tonics. Calendula was used in ointments as well as colouring the butter! Mullein, mallow, lady's mantle, monkshood, horehound, hyssop, hollyhock, flax, cornflower, comfrey, columbine, valerian, wintergreen, and witch hazel provided herbal remedies used in teas, infusions, poultices and/or ointments.
12. Redman House Program Centre
This frame house was built by Thomas Redman between 1851 and 1860 on Balsam Road, Pickering, Lot 5, Conc. 6. The City of Pickering acquired the house and moved it to the Museum Village in 2005. Our guests may access the public washrooms and a defibrillator at the south entrance.
13. Duffin's Creek General Store / Dressmaker's Shop, c. 1910
Built about 1855 this building and the Brougham Central Hotel once shared a porch. This building has served as a harness shop, County Office, and home. As the Museum Village's General Store, it serves as a post office and community centre. Set in 1910, it shows electricity use which was just being introduced to Pickering Township. Upstairs is a dressmaker's shop, one of few professions appropriate for women.
14. Blacksmith and Woodshop, c. 1856
Donated by Miss Edna Green, whose family owned and operated the Greenwood Mills, this shop was built on Concession Road #6, (across from the Oddfellows' Hall). It served as a blacksmith and wagon making business. Many tools are original to the building. Also original to this building is the hemlock floor, known for its fire retardant properties.
15. Claremont Bandstand, replica
This is a replica of the bandstand at the four corners of Claremont at the turn of the century. Continuing its tradition, live entertainment can be enjoyed here throughout the summer. The hydrangeas and spirea plantings were donated by the Pickering Horticultural Society.
16. Peony Friendship Garden
Donated by the Pickering Horticultural Society, many plants are heritage varieties. Inter planted are hundreds of tulips as part of the Bloomers & Britches' Communities in Bloom 2007 project in partnership with the City of Pickering.
17. Oddfellows' Hall, c. 1869
Originally a Christian Church in Whitevale, this building was sold to the Independent Order of Oddfellows at the turn of the century. Today, it represents a Town Hall, and is a popular location for weddings and filming.
18. Miller-Cole House Garden
Reflecting gardens of the1870s are favourites like roses, heliopsis, love-in-a-mist, love-lies-a-bleeding and gomphrena as well as practical gooseberries and red currants. Growing in the four-square garden are vegetables such as lettuce, beets, radishes, beans, tomatoes, lovage, rhubarb, onions, and chives - all easily harvested steps from the kitchen.
19. Miller-Cole House, c. 1870
Originally built in 1840 near the intersection of 16th Avenue and Concession Rd. #9, the deed was received in 1857 by Luton Miller and sold in 1881 to Amos Cole. It depicts the rural home of an established, but not wealthy, farm family. The stacked plank construction (see kitchen wall) demonstrates the abundance of timber at the time. The backyard features a four-square kitchen garden, and laundry area.
21. Teaching Garden
This garden represents crops that would have been grown in larger fields. Heirloom varieties of bush beans, cucumbers, squash, onions, beets, peas, turnips, rutabagas, potatoes and melons are planted by the Bloomers & Britches and used by the Museum Village's culinary group, Vintage Victuals. Youth volunteers assist in planting, weeding and harvesting.
22. Beef Ring Barn, c. 1870
This building was used by a cooperative of farmers. Each family supplied a cow or steer and shared the cuts, ensuring fresh meat. The cooperatives, or beef rings, died out with the advent of ice boxes and freezers.
23. Bible Christian Chapel, 1853
Simple in structure and furnishings, this 1853 Chapel was built by a splinter group of Methodists known as Bible Christians. It originally sat on Lot 24, Concession 5, but was moved to the William Major farm around 1890 after the Church closed. The box pulpit, wainscoting, and front doors are original. In 2001, The Pickering Museum Village Foundation took the lead in refurbishing the interior of the building. Pews were re-created using one original as the template; volunteers painted the interior and faux wood-grained the pews, and a local blacksmith created the hanging, wrought iron light fixtures. This building is a popular location for weddings and filming.
24. Brougham Temperance House, c. 1850
Originally in Brougham, this building is two structures joined together to form a hotel. They were built using the vertical plank method, but unlike the Collins House that remained exposed with battens, these buildings were covered with horizontal siding. Evidence indicates that woodstoves were used for heating and cooking. The east wing was a private dwelling. James Woodruff operated this tavern as a temperance inn. It played a key role in society and politics. The Brougham Sons of Temperance, met frequently in this inn, as did the Pickering Township Council. Dances were held upstairs in the flop room.
27. Gas & Steam Barn
This metal on wood structure houses a collection of early steam, kerosene, and gasoline engines and equipment from the late 19th Century to the mid 20th Century. An industrial boiler, farm tractors, saws, threshing and haying equipment, mills, a steam traction engine, and a restored Waterloo Steam Engine are some of the pieces restored, maintained, and operated by the Gas & Steam Club volunteers. Details regarding steam and gas interpretation and demonstration are available in the Gift Shop.
Contact us for more information:
Toll Free 1.866.683.2760
Email the Pickering Museum Village