Residents setting out more than 4 bags of garbage every 2 weeks are required to tag each bag over the 4 bag limit. Garbage Bag Tags are special peel-and-stick labels that attach to your garbage bag.
Residents who require special consideration to the bag limit due to medical conditions, or who have 3 children under the age of 3, should contact the Region of Durham at 905.579.5264 or 1.800.667.5671 for more information.
Please visit the Region of Durham website for garbage collection information.
In Pickering, purchase garbage bag tags at these locations:
- Pickering City Hall (cash only)
Monday - Friday: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Pickering Recreation Complex (all payment methods)
Monday - Friday: 6 am to 10 pm
Saturday - Sunday: 7 am to 8 pm
Tags are easy to use
- peel the tag and flag it around the top of any bags above the 4 bag limit
- do not use as a twist-tie
- when using garbage cans, tags should be placed on the top item inside the can
- there is no limit to the number of properly tagged garbage bags set out for collection, provided they are tagged
In May 2014, the cost of garbage bag tags for curbside collection increased from $1.50 to $2.50 per tag. View the notice of fee increase.