We work hard to maintain a beautiful community for our residents and visitors to enjoy. With your help we can avoid the negative impact this type of activity has on our City.
Litter and illegal dumping may:
- represent a breeding ground for fire and disease
- degrade water quality
- cause injury to pets, wildlife, residents and children
- discourage economic development by lowering real estate values
The cost of cleaning up illegally-dumped garbage exceeds $100,000 each year - a cost incurred by our taxpayers. Dumping waste on City property is against the law and carries a $5,000 fine.
What is the City doing to address litter and illegal dumping?
In addition to directing City staff to clean up litter and garbage, Pickering:
- helps coordinate community clean-up programs
- enforces its anti-dumping and anti-littering by-laws
Submit an online Service Request or contact Customer Care to report litter or illegal dumping. You can also report a problem with our app! Pingstreet allows you to upload a photo of the problem, and report it directly using your location coordinates. Download it from your app store today, or learn more at pickering.ca/pingstreet.
City of Pickering Anti-Littering Kids Colouring Sheet