Zoning in Pickering

Lands in Pickering are regulated by six parent Zoning By-laws (see Areas for Parent Zoning By-laws):

  • 2511 & 2520 (Urban Employment areas)
  • 3036 (Urban Mixed Use and Residential areas)
  • 3037 (Rural and Open Space areas)
  • 7364/14 (Seaton Urban Area)
  • 7553/17 (City Centre)

These parent by‑laws have been amended by zoning by-laws containing detailed standards that further regulate the development for specific sites. Currently, only the Seaton Urban Area Zoning By-law 7364/14 and the City Centre Zoning By-law 7553/17 are available for viewing online. An online request for zoning information must be submitted for all other lands regulated by Pickering’s remaining parent and site specific amending zoning by-laws.

The City has initiated a Zoning By-law Review of our six existing parent zoning by-laws. This review is intended to:

  • create one consolidated zoning by-law
  • update zoning to reflect current Official Plan policies and associated development guidelines
  • ensure the new Consolidated By-law is consistent with current legislation, policy and trends, and
  • ensure the by-law format and associated mapping are appropriate for posting to the City’s website.

How to Request Zoning Information

Zoning information is provided in response to a Request for Zoning and will not be provided over the phone or at the City Development front counter.

Requests for zoning information must be submitted online by using the Request for Zoning Information Form with the appropriate service fee. Responses to online requests for zoning information will be provided in writing by email within 3 to 5 business days.  

Zoning Certificate

Zoning Certificate involves preliminary review of submitted plans to confirm zoning compliance and is a requirement of a complete Application for Site Plan Approval and a complete Application for Minor Variance. The requirement for a Zoning Certificate may be waived where an Application for Site Plan Approval is submitted along with an Application for Zoning By-law Amendment.  Where a zoning review through a Building Permit Application has identified zoning noncompliance, the requirement for a Zoning Certificate may be waived for an Application for Minor Variance. See the Schedule of Fees for the appropriate Zoning Certificate service fee.