Please read about our proposed Road Occupancy By-law.

The public road allowance is a shared space used to deliver services and public utilities while allowing controlled access to adjacent properties. The City is required to coordinate activities to ensure public safety, reduce public impact and protect City assets from damage and reduce liability. Therefore, all homeowners, contractors and businesses doing work or other activities which require temporary occupancy of a municipal road, sidewalk, boulevard or right-of-way beyond its intended use require prior municipal knowledge and approval.

It is the responsibility of any resident, business or contractor to apply for a road occupancy permit a minimum of three (3) days prior to occupancy. 

These activities include:

  • construction on the road or boulevard
  • temporary or partial road closures
  • utility repairs or installations
  • placement of moving containers, dumpsters or storage bins on the road or the boulevard
  • newspaper or flyer box installations
  • crossing municipal boulevards with heavy construction equipment to gain site access
  • sidewalk obstructions which impact pedestrian traffic

Permit Application

Road Occupancy Permit Application [PDF]

Each Permit has a fee as set by the municipal fee schedule by-law.

Road Occupancy permits can be obtained at the City of Pickering Operations Centre:

Operations Centre
1955 Clements Road
Pickering, ON  L1W 4C2

Completed applications may be sent to the Operations Centre by email.

Permit Fees

A fee of $165 dollars will be applied to each individual street included in the Road Occupancy Permit application.  If applicable, there will be an additional Road Degradation fee applied if the works require a road cut for a minimum charge of $300 dollars or $42.00 per square metre of asphalt cut.

See also Summary of Fees & Charges.