All residents of Pickering have the right to enjoy reasonable peace and quiet while at home. Our By-law is in place to protect us from unreasonable or unnecessary noise.
This is regulated by Noise By-law 6834/08.
Highlights - What You Need to Know
Exemptions are not generally available but may be granted for large-scale construction projects which are time sensitive (e.g. road repair, concrete pouring, etc.).
The following prohibitions are in place at all times:
- playing music or other sounds, whether in a residence or a vehicle, at a volume that can be heard in another person's home
- yelling, singing, shouting, etc. at a volume that can be heard in another person's home
- persistent barking, calling, howling, whining at frequent or lengthy intervals by a domestic pet
The following regulations apply during specific times:
- playing music or other sounds which can be heard at any location other than on the premises where the noise originates is prohibited after 9:00 pm and before 7:00 am
- the operation of powered or non-powered tools used for domestic purposes is not permitted after 9:00 pm and before 7:00 am
- the operation of yard maintenance equipment such as lawn mowers, leaf blowers, chain saws, hedge trimmers etc. is prohibited after 9:00 pm and before 7:00 am
- the operation of snow blowers, snow throwers etc. is not permitted after 9:00 pm and before 6:00 am
Reporting a Noise Complaint
The by-law is actively enforced at all times by the Durham Regional Police Service and the City's Municipal Law Enforcement Services.
Any concerns with respect to noise should be directed to our Customer Care Centre. Outside of their hours, please contact the Durham Regional Police Service at 1.888.579.1520.