The City's Traffic & Parking By-law 6604/05, is in place to maintain safe conditions for pedestrians and traffic, and accommodate traffic flow. For additional details, please view the list of Traffic & Parking By-law Schedules.
Highlights - What You Need to Know
This by-law is actively enforced by our Parking Control Officers.
- vehicle parking is limited to a maximum of 3 hours on all City streets unless otherwise posted
- during snow-clearing operations, vehicles are not permitted to park on City streets or highways
- no parking on streets from 2:00 am - 5:00 am from December 1 - March 31
- fines for parking infractions can range from $25.00 to $300.00
If you do not act on one of the options within the timeframe indicated on your parking ticket you will be convicted, and the fines will continue to increase as the ticket progresses to plate denial.
The City accepts requests for parking consideration from the 3 hour maximum, for special circumstances such as out-of-town guests, driveway repairs, or special occasions.
Submit a request or contact our Customer Care Centre to report on vehicle parking.
Common Parking Infractions
- parking in excess of 3 hours
- parking during snow clearing operations
- parking in a no-parking area
- parking/stopping in a no-stopping area
- parking in a disabled parking space
- parking/stopping in a fire route
- parking in the turning circle of a cul-de-sac
- parking on or over a sidewalk
- parking within 3 metres of a fire hydrant or super mailbox
- parking within 1 metre of a driveway or laneway
- parking facing the wrong way
- parking on a municipal boulevard
- parking on the street from 2:00 am - 5:00 am, from December 1 to March 31
Paying a Parking Ticket
Below are the various ways you can pay your parking ticket:
1. Pay your ticket online through our PayTickets
2. By mail or in person (Monday to Friday between 8:30 am - 4:00 pm):
If by mail, please mail a cheque or money order, made payable to City of Pickering including your parking infraction notice number on the front, to the following address:
City of Pickering, By-law Services
One The Esplanade
Pickering, ON L1V 6K7
We do not accept post-dated cheques, payments by instalments or cash by mail.
NSF cheques will be subject to an administrative charge. An administrative fee is payable if the fine goes into default and the information may be provided to a credit bureau. Please allow sufficient time for your payment to be delivered.
3. First Attendance (by appointment only)
Contact us to meet with a First Attendance Facilitator.
Appointments are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 9:00 am - 4:00 pm.
4. Trial Option
You or your agent must attend in person at the office shown above within the times and days shown to file a Notice of Intention to Appear in Court. You cannot set a trial date by telephone or mail.
Trials will be held at the Ontario Court of Justice, 605 Rossland Road East, Whitby, Ontario (see Notice of Trial for confirmation).
A notice for Ontario motorists
Failure to pay the fine imposed upon conviction will result in your Ontario Vehicle Permit not being renewed and no new permit being issued to you until the fine and all court costs and fees have been paid.