Flag raising ceremonies, displays and half-mastings are posted to our website. View the current list.
Requests for flag raisings / flag displays may be approved for:
- non-profit or charitable organizations
- recognition of a state/country recognized by our federal government visiting the Mayor and Members of Council
- public awareness campaigns
Requests for flag raisings / flag displays may not be approved for:
- politically based parties, organizations, or individuals
- religious organizations or the celebration of religious events
- matters of political controversy or ideological beliefs
- promotion of a business or commercial enterprise
- matters designed to incite hatred or disorder
- if the intent is to defame the integrity of Pickering Council
- if the event or organization has no direct relationship to the City of Pickering
Flag size must be 3 ft x 6 ft or .90 x 1.80 metres.
Flag Raising Ceremony
|A ceremony in which a flag is raised at the Civic Complex designating a given period of time (special day, week or month) to recognize the efforts and commitments of an individual, event or organization that enhances our community.|
Where a flag is displayed at the Civic Complex designating a given period of time (special day, week or month) to recognize the efforts and commitments of an individual, event or organization that enhances our community.
Flags are flown at half-mast to commemorate significant dates such as Remembrance Day, or to observe a solemn event such as the death of a City employee. View the complete list of dates and considerations.
For more information, please contact the Council Office.