Are you available after hours?

Yes, an officer is available for emergencies 24 hours a day including, holidays and weekends. Call 905.683.7575 for further assistance. Please see What is an after hours emergency below for a listing of the types of calls Officers will respond to.

Please note that emergencies for wildlife will be assessed on a case by case basis.  If possible, please place the injured wildlife in a secure location where it is safe from further danger. 

How can I keep my pet safe during the summer and winter?
View our tip sheet for information that will help to ensure your pet's safety throughout all of the seasons.
What is an after hours emergency?
Animal Services will respond to the following types of emergencies:
  • a sick or injured stray dog or cat (no identification)
  • requests from Durham Region Health Department to quarantine an animal
  • requests from Durham Regional Police for assistance
For non-emergency calls, residents should contact us during regular operating hours.
If I lose my dog after hours, what should I do?
Complete an electronic lost pet report of your lost pet.  You may also call us during our next business day to ensure that a written lost report is completed. For further advice be sure to check our lost pets page.
Where is your shelter?

Our shelter is located at 1688 Highway 7 in Brougham (Brock Road & Highway 7).  We are located west of Brock Road on the north side of Highway 7.

Who do I call if I see an animal in distress?
Effective January 2020, Provincial Animal Welfare Services is now the enforcement agency responsible for investigating animal cruelty complaints in Ontario. Cruelty to any animal is not tolerated in Ontario. If you think an animal is in distress or is being abused, call: 1-833-9-ANIMAL (264625).
Who do I call for sick or injured wildlife?
Wild animals are the responsibility of the Ministry of Natural Resources however, during regular operating hours Pickering Animal Services will respond to calls for sick or injured wildlife on City Streets or City Property. Check out our Wildlife page for more information.
Does Animal Services pick up stray cats?
We only pick up stray cats that are sick or injured. Before contacting us we ask that you obtain a description of the cat. For more information call 905.683.7575 or view our Nuisance Cat information.
Who do we report animal bites or scratches to?
We suggest that you first visit your doctor. Your doctor will automatically file a report to the Durham Regional Health Department. If you would like us to investigate the situation further, please file a report with us. For more information view our Dog Bite information.
Does my cat have to be on a leash if outside?
Yes. If you choose to put your cat outside it must be on a leash or enclosed in your yard.
Who do I call if I see a dead animal on the road?
Call Animal Services at 905.683.7575 and we will pick up and dispose of the dead animal.
My neighbour never picks up after his dog, what should I do?
Please contact us with the following information:
  • address of where the dog resides
  • day/time that you witnessed the incident
  • if it is re-occurring we suggest that you try to take a video and/or photograph of the situation (this would be used if we decide to pursue charges)
An Animal Service Officer will visit the dog owners and educate them about the laws.
Does the City of Pickering have any leash free areas?
Yes, there are 2 designated leash free areas within Grand Valley Park.
Do you know of any low cost sterilization clinics for my dog/cat?

We have teamed up with veterinarians within Durham Region to offer a low cost spay-neuter assistance program for cats (DR SNAP) here in Pickering. View details.

Additional resources include the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (OSPCA) spay/neuter clinic, the Peterborough Humane Society, the Toronto Humane Society or Toronto Animal Services.

Do you have any animals for adoption?
Stop by our Animal Shelter, or visit our adoption page to see all animals available for adoption.
How many cats and dogs am I allowed to own?
The Responsible Pet Ownership By-law states that you may own 4 cats and 3 dogs.
How do I file a barking dog complaint?
Pickering Animal Services promotes neighbour to neighbour discussion as the first step in resolving this issue. Contact us if the problem is not resolved and we will investigate the situation. Phone: 905.683.7575.