Applying for a Licence

Both applicant and joint applicant must complete and sign the Government of Ontario Marriage Licence Application - Form 3. However, only one applicant needs to be present, with original ID for both parties, in order to process the application. 

Application forms are processed Monday to Friday between 8:30 am and 4:00 pm by the Clerk's Office at Pickering City Hall. 


Please note that effective March 1, 2018, the Licence Fee is $130.00 (Cash, Debit-Interac, VISA, Mastercard)

Required Identification

We require two original pieces of government-issued identification for each person getting married.  One piece of identification must include your photo, with your current legal name, date of birth and signature.

First Piece of photo ID must be:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Valid Passport

Second supporting piece of ID must be:

  • Valid Drivers License
  • Birth Certificate (if not used as your primary piece of ID)
  • Valid Passport (if not used as your primary piece of ID)
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Immigration Record/Record of Landing
  • Ontario Photo ID card

Please note that only original documents will be accepted and the issuer will take a copy of the identification provided and attach it to the marriage licence application. The first name and last names must match on the two pieces of ID you are presenting. To have your middle name included on your marriage licence, it must appear on one piece of ID.

Age requirements

Both applicants must be 18 years of age or older. Applicants 16 or 17 years of age require parental consent. Contact us for further details.

If either applicant is divorced

If a previous marriage was dissolved or annulled within Canada, the original or court certified copy of the Certificate of Divorce or Decree Absolute must be submitted. A divorce judgment is not acceptable. Certified copies may be obtained from the court that granted the divorce. All documents will be returned, and the issuer will take a copy of the documents provided.  Photocopies are not acceptable.

If the divorce was in a country other than Canada, please contact us for details of documentation required.

A certified translator must translate documents that are in a language other than English or French.

Additional Information

A Marriage Licence is valid for use anywhere in Ontario for a period of 3 months (90 days) from the date of issue.

Additional Information can be obtained from Service Ontario.